MindtraiLs
sophisticated dreamstah'ism.
4.04.2008
gonna climb that symphony home and make it mine
From Maya Angelou:

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE

a youth she's content to leave behind....

one friend who always makes her laugh... and one who lets her cry...

eight matching plates, wine glasses with stems, and a recipe for a meal, that will make her guests feel honored...

a feeling of control over her destiny.

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW...

how to quit a job,
break up with a lover, and confront a friend without ruining the friendship...

how to fall in love without losing herself.

when to try harder... and WHEN TO WALK AWAY...

that she can't change the length of her calves,
the width of her hips, or the nature of her parents..

that her childhood may not have been perfect...but its over...

how to live alone... even if she doesn't like it...

whom she can trust,
whom she can't,
and why she shouldn't take it personally...


- - - -

Yesterday I took the bart downtown to meet some friends for this Teachers College Alumni Reception thing at the Mariott. It was basically free eats, free liqs, schmoozing, recent admits and a talk from the not-so-engaging president. Anyway, as I was leaving the station there was a performer singing his heart out to Stevie Wonder's My Cherie Amour. He didn't sound exactly like the man, but he made me smile. I walked past him and heard the line:

My Cherie Amour,
won't you tell me how could you ignore,
That behind that little smile [she] wore,
how I wish that you were mine.


Reminds me of when I took the 1 train home after a weary day and heard a sax player belt Over the Rainbow.

He was so singing to me. At least I'd like to think so.

Currently Listening
Sawdust
By The Killers
Sweet Talk
see related