MindtraiLs
sophisticated dreamstah'ism.
1.09.2009
city "ish"
Times is rough. Nope, it's not just the cold weather in the bay (although I hear this is the Coldest January since the 1920s). It's the state of our economy that's got me a-saving for rainy days. So I've got my dollars and I'm pinching them tighter, but it's not like putting them away is that easy either. With the holiday season just past, snow trips and sunnier-dayed vacays on the horizon I need to hold on to every cent as much as I can. Unfortunately my working class status isn't going anytime soon- I tried winning the lotto yesterday and that didn't work!

So of course, I can't afford to buy the things I usually would. Scratch that, it's not like I can't afford to buy the things I usually would, I just shouldn't. This includes CDs and DVDs. Yes, I'm one of the few who does. Why? A couple of reasons. If you like someone's work that much you should support the artists. I like having my own collection. I find cover/disc art interesting to look at. Besides, it's annoying to sort through magic-markered burnt discs.

Imeem is supreme =B it's a place where you can listen to music, soundtracks and current hits for free. All you need is the internet. And for the office, some headphones. I've come back from break to a super busy work season and the one thing that gets me through any workday is musica. Reading applications all day can get tiring but there are four albums that will probably get me through the next two months and the first half of the cycle. And because I haven't written for a little, I thought I'd share.

So happy new years people! And here I go.

808s and Heartbreak

I mean, what? I meant SIKE! Oh Kanye~ props for lovelockdown, that's about it.

A different me

Keyshia has always had a beautiful voice but I know I'm not the only one who got weary from all the emo. I'm loving her new sound and she's got a gorgeous new look to match. "A different me" shows that she can still be the strong Keyshia she's always been and is completely capable of doing happy.

Fearless

Jazmine Sullivan "bust the windows out your car," and is "not scared of lions and tigers and bears." Yea, I don't know either, but what I do know is that this girl can sing. and sing, and sing. Her soulful voice has the power to make any listener relate to even the corniest of lyrics. Soulful tracks "dream big" and "fearless" show more depth but I'm doubting they'll make it to mainstream radio. A friend brought up a good point: look past the simplicity of what she says and find an artist that inspires you to write and sing what you truly feel. And she does. Singing like she isn't sorry she tells stories of trysts, unhealthy relationships and even murder. It reads extreme, but actually sounds kinda nice. And I'm okay with that.

Universal Mind Control

Common's most poppy album yet. Loaded with lots of synthy, euphoric sounding beats. Not surprising being that 75% of it is produced by the Neptunes. I'm sure a lot of old school fans wont like the fact it's less conscious than his past work, but I love it. I listen to it when I'm getting ready to go out because it puts me in the mood to groove. AND he freaking tuts in that HP commercial. Quirky.

The Way I see it

I've been listening to this album since November and I STILL haven't gotten tired of it. Raphael is sick for being able to release different albums and evolve to a different level of old school each and every time.

Hopefully you enjoy them as much as I do. If you've got your own recs, please tell!

Currently Watching


The Boys & Girls Guide to Getting Down
By Dennis Haskins, Jeff Davis, Leyla Milani, ..most of the club kids in Hollywood, Benny Ciaramello
see related
2 Comments:
Blogger Henry Chinanski said...
The fact that you purchase CDs and DVDs in this increasingly digital age is very endearing.

Hope you're well

Blogger edes said...
oh i am totally on jazmine sullivan right now. i do enjoy her "lions, tigers, and bears." can relate to it on some levels. but most def that girl can sang.